Friday, June 3, 2011

Run That By Me Again?

Dear Ice Cream Van That Drives By My New Place Daily,

Let me just start by saying: I love you. It makes my day to hear you come by. And let's just say that it's a good thing that we generally don't have cash on hand around here, because it would not last long with you around.

That said, I have a bit of a question . . .

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that it is June. The halfway point in the year. Halfway between last Christmas and next. One could in fact argue that at this time of year one is as far from Christmas as one could get.

So. Why on earth is it that half the time you come around . . . I hear you playing Christmas songs? I'm sorry, but charming little tunes like "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" just do not sound the same when it's 75* outside.

Now, I will admit that something of this sort could possibly work . . . in Florida . . . or southern California . . . in December. And I realize you might have easily confused this place for somewhere like that, what with how swelteringly hot it's been around here the last couple of months, you know? Such an easy mistake!

But I have to say the last straw of weirdness was hearing you play "O Come All Ye Faithful." Really, Ice Cream Van? Really? What is that about? Why? Just . . . why? I'll admit, it's a lovely song. I'm a fan. But to hear such a sweet, inspiring carol (not song - carol) from the tinkling of your sound system - it's just not right. And I'm still confused.

Don't get me wrong, if a five dollar bill happens to come my way in the next few months I will most certainly be sharing some (perhaps all) of it with you. But can I just say - stick to "it's a small world." Please.

Love,
Lacey


P. ost S. cript
I would love to have been a bystander watching the awkward! :-)


4 comments:

  1. The only ice cream truck I ever see in my area is pretty sketchy looking. Not sure I'd buy anything from him. And he plays the "Traditional Ice Cream Truck Song" (aka Turkey in the Straw, aka Do your Ears Hang Low), but a techno version of it with a weird backbeat rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed.
    Perhaps Marketing?
    Perhaps no taste in music?
    At least it's not "looking like a foo' wid yo' pants on da ground"
    See? It could be worse.
    I'd much rather associate Ice Cream and Jesus together. Maybe I'd remember more what I should be doing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0pC8-R33zk

    I don't know if this is why it plays Christmas songs, but it made me think of this video.

    ReplyDelete