Monday, June 27, 2011

24

Dy 24 ~ Your favorite quote or verse of scripture and why.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but my favorite anything changes depending on the day and the mood I'm in and about a zillion other factors. So I'm just going to to peruse through my lists of quotes on facebook and pinterest (you know you want to!) and give you the ones that particularly strike me today. And there's your "why." Woot.

"It is our choices that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities."
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

(was that showing off? oh well.)

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
~ Plato

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."
~ Mark Twain

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
~ Edgar Allan Poe


"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne


"Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true."
~ Charles Dickens


"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
~ Jane Austen


"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
~ Voltaire

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
~ Voltaire


"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
~ Gandhi

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
~ Socrates

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."
~ C. S. Lewis


"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
~ Cicero


And perhaps best of all:

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
~ Abraham Lincoln

(Please note: as far as I know these are all legit. Well, all but one. I'll let you guess which one that is.)

P. ost S. cript
To quote a Robin Williams character (and I've got a thousand points for the person who can name the movie!) "Gravity works!"

5 comments:

  1. Love that Jane Austen quote. And that quote is easy...seen that movie a thousand times and trying to get Trevor to love it as much I as I did (do). Fern Gully: The Last Rain Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You telling me you think there was internet in Abraham Lincoln's time ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah ~ It's too bad that movie has been so forgotten . . . even if it is a little weird if you think about it.

    Grandpa ~ I didn't say that. He did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Well, I had a 50/50 chance. :-D

    ReplyDelete