Sunday, September 30, 2012

Once Upon a YAY!

Of course, one could argue that it wasn't her stepmother because Abigail obviously didn't marry James, and Catherine and David only thought they were married . . . but I suppose that might be splitting hairs a little, no?

So in case you missed the memo - or the zillions of commercials - ONCE UPON A TIME IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you missed the other memo - which would pretty easy since it wasn't exactly widely published - I got really confused last season trying to have multiple conversations with different people every week.  So we're all having them here.  Kayla, Miranda, Sarah, Shayla (maybe) . . . dang, I feel like quite the odd one out.  Someone out there with an -ee ending name better be watching this too! :-)  Anyway, introductions and pleasantries are done with, on with the fun.

As I have a little while yet before the show starts, here's where things stand:

>> Charming/David is hot.

>> Huntsman/Graham is hot, has a to-die-for accent, and better actually be dead.  Unless they have some sort of really amazing work-around to explain him showing up in non-flashbacks he absolutely cannot come back in the present, curse-broken story line.  The idea that there are no consequences in FairyTaleLand when something happens here totally ruins the whole thing.

>> FairyTaleLand shall be known as FTL because that's a lot faster to type.

>> TEAM EMMOCHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> Geppetto shall be referred to as Bra'tac around here.  Because I can.  (Bray-tack)

>> The second Emma's car starts acting like it's alive is the second I turn off the tv.

>> Red/Ruby is as awesome as they get.

>> Mr. Gold shall be known as Rumplilocks.  Because it amuses me.

And now - FINALLY! - the main event!

~ That is one very close-up shot of a horse.

~ Well we're just getting right into new mysteries, aren't we?

~ Monument Valley much?

~ Ooooooooooh, another hot accent!

~ I wish aurora's actress had died her hair.  She's supposed to look like me!  (well . . . kinda . . . ish . . . )

~ Trippiest. Reuinion. Ever.

~ The dwarves certainly found each other fast.

~ How weird would be it to suddenly realize not only did you have a kid that you didn't know about, but that she was your age you also had a grandkid?  And he's ten?

~ "Grandpa?"  AWKWARD!!!  Me?  Actually lol'ing.

~ Trust Grumpy to get straight to the point. :-)

~ "Great, let's watch."  I heart Grumpy.

~ I really want "The Mob Song" from Beauty and the Beast to play in the background right now.

~ From the things you see coming a mile away file: that soldier dude's totally going to turn out to be a chick.  Which means it's probably Mulan.

~ Betcha that amulet is the new book, if you know what I mean.

~ (commercial: Natalie Portman for Dior perfume.  Have you seen the pictures of her with her hair dyed blonde?  Trippy.)

~ (commercial: Campbell's soup.  Who the heck hangs a deer head in a dance studio?  Other than maybe my dad?)

~ Well, there go the theories that Dr. Whale would be on Regina's side.  I thought they were dumb anyway.

~ *insert sad trombone noise here*  Poor powerless queen, ha!

~ Wait, so she totally destroyed FTL?  That sucks if it's true.

~ I love scenes between Rumplilocks and Regina.

~ Called it on Mulan.

~ So . . . it's called a wraith like in Lord of the Rings . . . but it acts like a dementor from Harry Potter?  May those Herbie the Love Bug theories weren't that off the mark.  (but they better be)

~ That is one shiny dagger that bodes no good.

~ So that's what happened to the Smoke Monster . . . (only five points.  That's the most obvious reference on the planet.)

~ (commercial: some car or other.  Kick the car and the back door opens?  Kinda genius)

~ (commercial: Cinderella on blu-ray.  What is up with the weird wrong-voice overdubs?  Disney fail!)

~ (commercial: is it just me or has this election been going on since I graduated from high school?  So. Sick. Of. It. All.)

~ Wait, where's Ruby going?  I didn't like the sound of that . . .

~ "One night stands?!"  "We were cursed!"  Most awkward parental conversation ever!  I'm rather cracking up.  The look on Charming's face . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

~ This hole situation has got to be seriously messed up for Emma psychologically speaking.

~ So Emma argues that if they hadn't sent her away she would have been cursed with them but they would have been together.  Am I the only one who's first thought was "ummmmmm, no?"

~ Can't decide if I like Phillip or not.  He's got a Graham-ish look to him, but . . . I just don't know.

~ Punch him, Emma!  Do it!!

~ That seriously looks like Oceanic 815 is coming down on Storybrooke.  (dude, it's the same people.  y'all better just get use to the Lost references.)

~ I'm getting some very Twilight-ish vibes from Rumplilock's and Belle's relationship future, and I don't like it.  At least she walked out this time.

~ Speaking of bad vibes, I don't recall any announcements about casting someone for Shang.  Here's hoping that's not how things roll.

~ Very clever putting Aurora in a purple-ish dress, but I'm with Merryweather.  Make it blue.

~ That thing did not look unlike the banshee from Darby O'Gill and the Little People.  Just a little.

~ He calls her Snow, she calls him David.  Weird.

~ Something I forgot to mention with the little things at the beginning: Jefferson is hot too.

~ Torch from a broom . . . I love you, Prince Charming.

~ It's got to be so much fun playing the FTL version of the character in our world.  Especially as memories are coming back and such.  (see also, "One night stands?!?!"  Still laughing at that one.  Here's hoping the internet makes a gif of that reaction!)

~ (commercial: Disneyland for Halloween.  I find it an interesting choice to pair with this show.  Obviously it's a good demographic, but juxtaposing the animated characters with their OUaT counterparts . . . a little weird.)

~ Again with the best chance thing.  It's totally this show's version of "with great power comes great responsibility."

~ You know Regina, maybe it's not working because IT'S NOT YOUR HAT.  Duh.

~ Well that was unpleasant.  Bye Phillip.

~ Ladies and gentlemen, the most disappointing (and probably painful) face plant of all time.

~ Who wants to bet Snow and Charming get separated somehow every season and we get dozens of "I will always find you" scenes every season.

~ If they wrote Henry out of the show I'm gonna be ticked.  Especially if they took Ruby with him to do it.

~ Because having the amulet will make her feel so better about watching Phillip get dementored.

~ Oh good, there's Henry.

~ I like me some rage filled Prince James.

~ Walk in on adoptive mother about kill grandfather . . . and she still tries to convince him she's not evil.  I'm beginning to think Regina's less evil than just nuts.

~ And now we're Twilight-ing again.  I swear, if I have to start calling her Bella instead of Belle . . .

~ Yeah, that "you must leave" line was right out of the Edward Cullen playbook.  Dude, if they screw these two up, I swear . . .

~ I want Henry to call Charming "grandpa," like, all the time and watch Charming get all awkward.  He's cute when he's awkward.

~ "I will always find them."  Toldja so.  We're starting a drinking game, choose your drink of choice and every time Snow or Charming pulls that out we all take a collective swig.

~ I was wondering why we weren't seeing Aurora & Co in our world.  I wonder how their little corner only got frozen.  And if those were concurrent scenes instead of flashbacks, why was aurora asleep?  Back in the pilot episode Maleficent and Regina were talking and they totally made it sound like Aurora's story had already played out.  They traded the dark curse for the sleeping curse and it didn't work.

~ HOLY CRAP YOU CAN'T END THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOT!  FREAKING! OKAY!

Okay kids, what did we all think?  Me, I'm soooooooooo glad to see this show back!  Here's hoping for more one night stand moments and less constant finding each other.

P. ost  S. cript
 This just seems appropriate.  Fun fact:  Alice here has a friend who's also friends with Wendy (if you know what I mean)  and apparently she and the guy who's friends with Peter are kind of internet famous and they totally got married this summer.  How cute is that?!


  1. Aurora was a total, well, princess. Naggy and annoying. I immediately shipped Phillip and Mulan but, no, because what about Shang, ya know?

    Let's talk about this world (Mulan, Phillip and Aurora). It seemed to me during the premiere that this world was concurrent and I figured that the sleeping curse was prolonged because of the dark curse. Like, because time was frozen, even if Phillip had kissed Aurora, she wouldn't wake because nothing changes under the dark curse. Does that make sense?
    Also, why are these three characters in a different world? I understand Wonderland being a different realm but what realm are they in and why? And did Maleficent leave that realm and go into FTL before or during the dark curse and that's the reason it's possible for Regina to have had her trapped in Storybrook?

    Let's continue with the realms and get to what spikes my curiosity the most: Wonderland. (See what I did there? lolz) Jefferson is the Hatter, we know this. Hatter was betrayed by Regina to go into Wonderland to get Regina's father which left Hatter stranded in Wonderland. And that's how that story ends. So, if that is another realm, how did Jefferson get to FTL? Did he leave Wonderland before or during the dark curse? If so, how? If not, how did he get to FTL? And if he could get to FTL even if he was in Wonderland under the dark curse, where are all the other people from Wonderland. And most importantly: what the actual fuck with the Queen of Hearts already. I am DYING to figure her out.

    About Emma thinking that they would have been together if she had been under the dark curse: You say they wouldn't have because (I assume your reason is) they have no memories which is why Mary Margaret and David weren't together in Storybrook. BUT! Ruby and Granny were together. Sooooo????

    I want to know more about this amulet.

    Did Emma unintentionally give Regina her full powers back when she helped with the hat? And why is Emma magical at all? Neither Snow nor Charming are magical in neither FTL nor Storybrook- so where did her magic come from?

    Are we really not going to see what's going on with Pinocchio right now? curse if lifted. Is he a wooden man or a human man? Where is he?

    Graham/Huntsman. There's a mindfuck. They can't get rid of him, he's a good character. But Storybrook Graham is dead. Like, dead. So, what? I can't even.

    Similarly, Prince Phillip died way too soon. How are you going to introduce suspicions of a crazyass love triangle and then kill the dude in the middle of it?

    -We were cursed!

    I want to play the "I will always find you" drinking game.

    I said the same thing about the dementors haha!

    I think that is all for now :)

    1. I didn't think Aurora was that naggy. Considering she just woke up and was a little behind the times with everything she seemed pretty "right" to me. Definitely too soon to judge either way though.

      I'm thinking Philip couldn't have even kissed her until Emma broke the curse - like, time was frozen and so were the people, you know? That's the impression I got anyway. If I understand correctly Philip, Aurora, and Mulan are in FTL - most of it got destryoed but some little corner only got frozen, like the curse ran out of gas by the time it got out that far or something. Which is good, because that leaves hope for restoring the whole place and everyone being able to go back someday, which is totally how this show has to end, amirite? :-)

      On that note, the ouat theories tumblr posted one about Aurora's mother being "Sleeping Beauty" - because remember how way back at the beginning last season they were talking about the sleeping curse not working? And then here Aurora's talking about how Maleficent went after her mother and now after her. So that would make *that* little anachronism work out.

      No ideas at all on the Jefferson/Wonderland thing, but I'm thinking he must have found a way back to FTL somehow before the curse because otherwise I don't see why he would have been in Storybrook, he would still be in Wonderland trying to make a new hat to get back to FTL.

      Good point with Granny and Ruby. That said, Regina didn't have a grudge against either of them, they were just collateral. She did have a major grudge against Snow, so I can't imagine she would have left any combination of Snow, Charming, and Emma together no matter what they did or didn't remember.

      Right?!?!?! Saw another theory - Hook was marked and cut off his hand himself to avoid dementor . . . I mean wraith. :-)

      Well, they keep saying magic is different here. And I'm thinking it might have something to do with Emma being Snow and Charming's child and Gold bringing magic back with the love potion made from Snow and Charming's love, plus just the whole being-the-savior thing. I'm kind of leaning toward the "she's always had these latent magical powers but never known it" idea.

      Oh. Holy. Crap. WHERE was August?!?!?!?!?!?! DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Graham - yes. That.

      I'm kind of thinking Philip isn't dead. At least not permanently. And Aurora's and Mulan's storyline will be about them chasing the wraith-mentor and finding a way to get Philip's soul or whatever back into his body.

      I think I've reblogged that gif something like a million times in the last two days. I want to buy this entire series on dvd just to watch that scene over and over. Perfect. :-)

      Totally going to be building on the drinking game as other cliches show up.

    2. Also - who the crap was the dude at the beginning who got the postcard?!?!?! And who the heck sent it?!?!?!?!

  2. That's right! I forgot all about that guy! OK, so, I never watched Lost but please tell me all the questions fans asked throughout the show were at some point answered before the show ended. Please, tell me.

    1. I'm afraid I kind of dropped off watching when I moved to Florida due to lack of time . . . around season . . . 4? Ish? I fully intend to go back and watch it all, but I haven't yet.

  3. So this is what I was thinking about today...

    Prince Phillip/Aurora/Mulan love triangle...
    If Prince Phillip was in love with Mulan than why did Aurora wake up with "True Love'e Kiss" ????? Just saying I think maybe the Mulan/Phillp thing might have been one sided... or maybe nothing at all ... I hope they elaborate further on this!

    1. I'm thinking it's probably less a romantic love and more like a "we've been through hell and back trying to do something and we've totally had our lives depending on each other" sort of love. Very different kind of connection, but just as big. I can't imagine them not elaborating!