Thursday, November 25, 2010

It Doesn't Get Random-er

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

First, a news update: Tuesday we were supposed to get hit by the mega-blizzard storm of the century, so school was halved and pretty much the whole state shut down. Luke and I had to have lunch at the newly opened Chik-Fil-A and it was crazy busy, much like when we ate at the newly opened In-N-Out Burger last month. But the peppermint chocolate chip milkshake made the crowds BEYOND worth it - YUM! Then we went home and prepared to hunker down and weather the Snowpocalypse.

Ummmmm . . . it snowed. A lot. It was pretty dang windy. Very little visibility. I would not have wanted to be out in that storm. But I was envisioning winds that knocked over the motorcycles in the parking lot, power outages, the first floor of the complex being snowed in and unable to get out of their apartments and Luke and me huddled under blankets for a couple of days until things got back to normal. Yeah, didn't happen. Color me kinda disappointed.

On the other hand, since Luke has to work today we had our little Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. And I am proud to announce I have successfully cooked two turkey in a row. Well, okay, two tiny little three-pound turkey breasts . . . but I'm counting it!! A few discoveries from yesterday: it is possible to cook stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, and rolls all at the same time if you have two people and four hands available. Also, one box of stuffing is not enough to satisfy two stuffing fiends (learned that last year), but two boxes will leave leftovers. However, there is no amount of stuffing that qualifies as "enough" for two stuffing fiends. I imagine that cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for more than two is probably a lot more complicated. So I will definitely not be attempting that until we have a kitchen at least five times bigger than the one we have. Good thing pretty much any kitchen in the world fits that description, eh?

And now the moment you've all been waiting for . . .

Lacey's Top Ten Random, Odd, Obscure, or Perhaps Just Plain Weird Things She's Thankful For! (version 2.0 . . . 1.0 here if you want to compare random-osity)

1. Nepotism totally has to be #1 . . . since it made the list two years in a row, it's clearly a big deal.

2. Goodreads giveaways. Four free books and counting! YAY!!

3. Reconnecting. Did my mention my awesome old friend/roommate from Florida, Brandy came to visit for a few days last month? Well, she did. And it was awesome. Sooooooooo great to see people you haven't seen in ages! Yay for catching up with people!

4. Car problems that have generally been less frequent and less expensive than last year. (although there must be something about this time of year and our cars, because we're totally having issues again. at least they've been minor this time!!!)

5. Five months of no rent - I can almost forgive the fire for being on my birthday. :-P

6. Book club. Even though I still feel like the kid sister they let tag along (which is totally from my own inferiority complex, not anything even remotely related to anyone there!) it's kind of really fantabulous. I look forward to it every month.

7. Mythbusters. I've been streaming it on Netflix for the last couple of months whilst working on a Christmas project. I may be nearly through Collection 6 . . . but of course no self-respecting mature adult would admit to something like that, so I'll just leave it hazy. :-) But if anyone can hook me up with a chicken gun, you will be my hero FOR. EV. ER.
On a slightly related note . . .

8. That feeling of accomplishment you get when you finish something. Like I said, I've been working on this great Christmas project for the last two months, and I finally finished it this week, which is great because I was starting to worry that I wouldn't finish in time. I'm not saying anymore here because you're not supposed to tell people what they're getting for Christmas (unless it's you telling me, lol), but if people are interested I'll post pictures after Christmas.

9. Slightly related again - having projects to do, especially for other people. I totally need to get some baby bibs to cross-stitch for a few people. In fact, I should probably just get a buttload and get ahead of myself since that's what I want to be my go-to baby shower gift from here on out . . . if possible, anyway.

10. Blog comments. It's utterly ridiculous, but I get the HUGEST self-esteem boost whenever I see I have another one. And don't even get me started on how I feel when a post hits double digits . . . :-) You guys rock!! I love you all!!

And there you have it. May your tryptophan comas be pleasant, and may you not be trampled to death if you go shopping tomorrow. Also, since I'm not feeling creative enough to top myself , allow me to just remind you that I can be so clever sometimes. :-) And I'm counting down the minutes until this applies again tomorrow.

P. ost S. cript
Have you seen this?!?! SOOOOOOOOO awesome!!!! Betty White is so last year. ;-) Cookie Monster for President!! I'm voting for the Cookie Monster/Grover ticket in 2012!


1 comment: