Thursday, May 27, 2010

Now It's Time to Say Goodbye . . .

Yep.



So today was my last day at work. Really bittersweet. On the one hand, I really enjoy the job, and I'm definitely going to miss all the kids. On the other . . . man, they can be little brats sometimes!

That said, I had a really good day. When I got there the class was just coming back from . . . I don't know, wherever they go on Thursdays. So I was immediately mobbed in the hall as they came back and everybody had to tell me all about the card they signed for me and that Ms. Ingram had gotten me a present and they all wanted to know what it was and I got the slight impression that it was supposed to be a surprise but everyone was just too eager to tell me all about it personally. "Mobbed" is definitely the word to use too, as I could hardly walk at a few points during the day for all the hugs. I think I may have gotten ten or more hugs from some of the kids. I feel so special!! I was not expecting to be missed near this much! Awwwwww!!!

So it's business as usual up until recess. Then the kids go outside and I take all the sticker charts and put them on the nine desks of the kids I worked with, and everybody got a little bundle of hershey kisses because I've been giving those out as treats all along for earning stickers. (it's kind of a genius little reward system if I do say so myself!) And then I went outside to play. That was both awesome and depressing. I didn't tell any of the kids I was joining them, so when they saw me the all started yelling and mobbing me again, and again it felt pretty darn good. :-) Then it was all "Miss Lacey do this" and "Miss Lacey watch me do that" and I was getting pulled in at least two directions at once, usually more and I really could have used at least four more pairs of eyes. The whole thing was tons of fun though - although it did make me feel really old. Firstly - I absolutely sucked at trying to do the monkey bars. But in my defense, I wasn't very good at them even when I was their age. (And I especially hated getting the blisters on my palms . . . not fun!!) Secondly - I soooooooooooo cannot fit through those jungle gym tunnels anymore. Sad day!

But recess was great fun. Swings, jump rope, basketball (I even made a basket!!), epic monkey bar fail, and I think the whole class had at least one trick they had to show me. I could totally see myself as an elementary school teacher if it meant this much adoration every day . . . such an ego boost. :-) Anyway, after recess we head back in and everybody's all surprised and excited to see chocolate waiting for them on their desks and I got mobbed again. Woot. And everyone had to gather around to watch me open my card/present - a little jar candle, which I know is a totally generic "girl" present but I adore scented candles and practically always have my candle warmer going, so it's pretty awesome.

And then several of them said I should have a baby so I could come visit them and bring the baby.

Yeah.

If I didn't know better, I'd think my parents had paid them to say that. Granted, it's a natural progression of thought, especially since some of them didn't know I was married until today. But still . . .

More hugs after the bell rang and everyone was leaving. Good thing I like hugs, eh?! :-) It was kind of sad to leave, but here's hoping that one way or another I'll be back next year. I've done what I can, now we'll have to see what happens. Since we won't be paying rent for a few months I'm not looking too hard for something else yet . . . of course, that also means that if I don't get to go back I'll be job hunting slightly frantically come the end of the summer. Good times. Cross your fingers for me!!

P. ost S. cript
So this song was new my sophomore year of high school, and ohmygosh it was just so true and so deep and so sad and whatever. Seriously though, it's a pretty good song. Lots of sentimental value for me - I can't hear it without thinking of high school, especially the end of my sophomore year. Love it, love it, LOVE it . . . even if it is a little cheesy unless you're actually in high school. and can I just say I find it a little disturbing to think that the kindergartners from the year I graduated will be in high school themselves in another year - disturbing. Not right. On sooooo many levels.

1 comment:

  1. I love that song. It really does speak the truth about what goes through a new graduates head. My cousin is graduating this year and I can't believe she's old enough to do that!

    I had to go into the school today and I just wanted to run in and out in 5 minutes. That was a big mistaken thought. I was immediately ambushed by 6th and 7th graders telling me how they've missed me these past 2 weeks. I got hugs and several "you're my favorite teacher. I'm going to miss you!" That's one of the things I love about the age I teach. It's still cool to like your teacher.

    ReplyDelete