Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Conversation

Specifically, a conversation I had today with one of my fourth graders during reading time whilst she was reading the Civil War episode of the Magic Tree House books. And it went something like this:

Angelica: Was the Civil War a real war?
Me: Yep.
Angelica: How long ago was it?
Me: About 150 years ago.
Angelica: Sooooo . . . in 1980?
Me: *blink blink* She's not calling me old, she's not calling me old, she's not calling me old, she's not calling me old!! . . . Ummm, actually, 1860.
Angelica: Oh. . . . Were you alive then?
Me: (note: thought voice is about as shrill as it gets) Just how old do you think I am, girl?! Yeah, uh . . . no.
Angelica: Your grandma?
Me: Maybe my great-great-great-great grandma . . .
Angelica: Oh.

I'm clearly a dinosaur. Someone just put me out of my misery now. ;-)

P. ost S. cript
So apparently some of the older kids get string instrument lessons in the middle of the school day (which makes kind of a lot of no sense to me, but hey) because I can hear them when I'm out in the hall with the second graders. And between that and these little (well, not so little technically I guess . . . ) girls walking around balancing soft-cased cellos on their hips just like I used to I've really been thrown back to my first couple of years learning to play the cello. And then a friend sent me this video and all I can say is . . . so. Freaking. True. I feared for my life sometimes walking to school with my cello - even though a lot of people were convinced it was a gun. Yeah, never got that one. Anyway, here's some laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment