Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Lord, I Only Laugh Just to Keep from Weeping

Ten points if you can name that movie quote.

The good news is I'm feeling a bit better today. Of course, that might be because I've taken more ibuprofen in the last three days than I've taken in the last three months . . . but whatever works.

Anyway.

So it turns out the school has this policy that if a kid brings a cell phone to school they're supposed to check it in at the office in the morning and they can get it back at the end of the day. And it turns out that not a lot of the kids are obeying that policy. My guess is because they didn't even know about it because I had never heard of it before today, but then again I'm not exactly on the need-to-know end of the spectrum on this one. But still.

Anyway.

So the "detention" teacher (for lack of a better all-encompassing and non-explanation needing term) comes into 5th grade today and explains the policy to the kids and says if any of them have cell phones they need to give them to her now. At this point I'm thinking we're the last class she's going to because the pocket of her hoodie is practically hanging down to her knees.

Nope. Something like EIGHT kids go to their backpacks to get phones and it sounds like that's about the norm for all the classes. The teacher totally started laughing at this point . . . although I'm not sure if he was laughing in shock or at the fact that my jaw literally dropped in shock.

I can't imagine how these phones are being paid for . . . Luke and I both have pretty bare bones plans and we barely manage to keep our total bill under triple digits, but the kids were talking about all the games and apps and internet things they use their phones for (in fact, I don't think one of them actually uses theirs as an actual phone) so they've got to have bills two ro threes times are combined total.

However, my story today is much more amusing.

Shortly after this little exchange the kid I was working with, Claudio (of the inadvertently hilarious wit), who's parents he says told him he can have a cell phone when he pays for it. My response? "Well, what would you do with one anyway? Who are you going to call?"

I kid you not, this kid didn't miss a beat. He throws his hands up in the air and exclaims "Ghostbusters!!!"

It was seriously like he knew that question was coming and was waiting patiently for me to ask so he could respond that way and make me laugh. It may be a little conceited of me to say so, but it seriously feels like he and a couple other boys are constantly wandering my way to say something they've rehearsed and try to make sound natural just hoping I'll laugh. It's kind of cute.

Anyway.

A few minutes later Claudio mentions that Mr. Cox didn't get his phone taken away, in a tone that implied he should have. Now, the detention teacher made it quite clear that the policy applied only to kids, so naturally my reply was that Mr. Cox is not a kid.

"He's not married!"

Kid logic, amirite? It's a good thing Claudio's okay with being laughed at. :-)

(confession: this is totally the first thing that popped into my head when he said that.)

P. ost S. cript
Onion videos totally make up for not being able to watch The Daily Show. :-)
(very brief language, if that's a thing for you)

6 comments:

  1. Ha! Awesome...and yeah, I had never heard of the "policy" either...and am assuming no parents had, either! But, I guess it's pretty common sense that the phones should not be at school. I had a student whose mom came in on the first day and explained that she had to walk a long way home, so she wanted her to have her cell phone. She wanted her to keep it in my desk and get it at the end of the day. I thought that was a reasonable way to handle it.

    And yes, Mr. Cox is totally still a kid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I'm thinking maybe it's a new . . . ish . . . policy?

      Also: HA!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I pray for it everyday. Why God, did you curse me with this face?

      :-)

      Delete
  3. Maybe where he comes from it means love...

    It was dreadful, her eyes welled up. It was awful.

    I can totally see the policy... weird that they NEED it. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In more ways than one. If I didn't know better I would think these kids didn't even know the device they had was a phone! One of the kids told me she NEVER uses it as one!

      Delete