Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can We Just Leap To Spring Already?

Stir crazy.

I. Am. There.

I know really have no right or reason to complain (and that it must seem like I'm always talking about the weather and you're all really bored with it) since it's not like I've been housebound for any reason lately. And lets be honest, everyone gets the winter blues to some degree and mine certainly haven't come anywhere Certifiable Mental Disorder level.

But.

There's always a but, isn't there? Anyway, in my case I have spent this entire month in a rather depressed-ish funk that is semi-normal for this time of year for me, but more pronounced. And I just can't seem to shake it. Low-brow TV (*nudge*Katie*nudge*) and mint oreos and the like can perk me up for a while, but every afternoon when Luke goes to work I find myself staring at hours and hours of nothing more productive to do than find new recipes on pinterest and nothing sounds appealing and I just can't help but think "this cannot be how I'm going to spend the rest of my life!!!"

(and seriously, the first person to mention kids as the antidote to that thought gets minus a gazillion points because frankly nothing sounds less desirable to me at the moment . . . even though there are a few newborns I'm dying to see!)

I know this is pretty normal for me in February - just more pronounced than usual. And I know it'll go away in a few more weeks . . . assuming spring comes this year. The way this winter has gone, who knows? Seriously, the mere fact that it's snowing right now is depressing even though I know it'll probably gone by morning. (for those of you not around here who think I'm kidding - the snow from yesterday morning was all gone by the time it dusted up again last night. and that was gone by the time I got off work today. and now it's snowing again. this winter? has. been. nuts.)

That's part of the problem I think - I didn't get to enjoy winter when I like it and now that I'm done I'm getting taunted. Right now I could seriously kill to be able to walk to the zoo, wander around for a while, and walk home all comfortably without a jacket.

On a cheery note, I'm working on planning our first real vacation since going to Australia in 2008. It's not until July, but frankly I'm counting down the seconds.

If it snows in July, heads will roll. Seriously.


P. ost S. cript
Things that always cheer me up:
~ Cellos
~ Electric cellos (but now I'm aching to play "Lord of the Dance"!)
~ Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's "Over the Rainbow"


7 comments:

  1. There songs make me want to play cello so bad!!! You should give me lessons! That would give you something to do while Luke is at work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I've considered giving cello lessons for extra money off and on, but I'm not sure how good a teacher I would make. Since you already know music I think I could do it though. :-) Give me a call/text/message sometime if you really want to, and I'll see if I can find my old lesson books.

      Delete
    2. I deleted all my contacts! On accident and lost your phone number. So you shoul totally send it to me again.

      Delete
  2. Children would NOT be the answer to being stir crazy (since I haven't been out of the house for 3 weeks :), so I think the points lost to anyone who mentions them should be minus a gazillion times ten :)
    Where are you planning your next big trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the way they keep you occupied versus the way I'm so bored these days, but when you put it that way . . . yeah, times ten. :-)

      I wouldn't call it a big trip per se, but we're going to Yellowstone for a few days. Luke's never been and it's been ages since the last time I was there, so I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Amen! I don't know what it is about this year....but it's bad! I keep looking for things to blame it on...the weird winter, being a working mom, my damn ESL class (it's a whole phrase now, not just ESL, but damn ESL), living with inlaws...who knows, but I'm ready for SUN and warmth!

    P.S. trashy tv is a totally legit way to spend your time. Well, that and a pack of Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Oreos were for movie night . . . and the main reason I agreed to movie night, lol.

      Delete